Tarn-X® Tarnish Remover
- The original "wipe & rinse" tarnish remover specifically formulated for sterling silver, silver plate, platinum, copper, gold and diamonds.
- Removes tarnish quickly and easily — just "wipe and rinse."
- No rubbing and scrubbing, Tarn-X allows you to enjoy the beauty of your precious metals all year.
- Always spot test in an inconspicuous area first.
- Look for Tarn-X in these sizes: 12 oz. bottle.
For use on these surfaces
- Silver plate
- Sterling Silver
How to use this product
- Wear household gloves.
- Clean object first by washing in warm soapy water and drying completely. Dip cotton ball or soft cloth in Tarn-X Tarnish Remover and wipe on tarnished areas.
- Rinse completely under cold water and wipe dry. For large items, apply Tarn-X to about 1/3 of article at a time, then rinse thoroughly. Do not soak any object in Tarn-X for over 2 minutes.
- For heavily tarnished pieces, repeat above process until all tarnish is disposed.
IMPORTANT: Do Not Use on stainless steel, chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble, artificially oxidized silver, knife blades, lacquered surfaces, pearls, opals or any porous stones, Avoid spilling on laminates, countertops or any synthetic surfaces which may be affected; clean spills immediately. Use in well-ventilated area.
|Water||Dilutent: CAS #7732-18-5||
|Dilutent: CAS #7732-18-5. Reverse Osmosis (RO) is a water treatment process that removes contaminants from water by passing the water through a membrane, (filter), where contaminants are filtered out yielding more pure quality water.|
|Thiourea||Cleaning Agent: CAS #62-56-6.||
Cleaning Agent: CAS #62-56-6. An organic compound containing sulfur. It is used to help dissolve silver sulfide (tarnish) from silver and silver plated objects.
California CPRKA Designated Lists
(1) California Proposition 65. https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/proposition-65-list
(15) US NTP Carcinogens. https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/whatwestudy/assessments/cancer/roc/index.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=prod&utm_campaign=ntpgolinks&utm_term=roc
(18) California TACs. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/toxics/id/taclist.htm
|Sulfamic Acid||Cleaning Agent: CAS #5329-14-6.||
Cleaning Agent: CAS #5329-14-6. Typically used for metals and ceramics. It is frequently used in household rust and lime scale removers as it is intrinsically safer than many other acids. However, gloves and safety glasses are recommended. As part of the EPA Safer Choice Program, it has been evaluated and determined to be safer than traditional chemical ingredients. This is a proccessing aid/additive only.
California CPRKA Designated Lists
20) California Non-Cancer Hazards. https://oehha.ca.gov/air/general-info/oehha-acute-8-hour-and-chronic-reference-exposure-level-rel-summary
|Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate||Surfactant: CAS #68604-71-7||
|Surfactant: CAS #68604-71-7. It is often made from fatty acids found in coconut oil. It functions as a surfactant, which modifies the surface tension of water, to aid in even spreading and to allow mixing with oil and dirt. As part of the EPA Safer Choice Program, it has been evaluated and determined to be safer than traditional chemical ingredients.|
How do I use Tarn-X?
Prior to using Tarn-X, use soap and hot water to remove any dirt or grime. Rinse with cold water and wipe dry before using Tarn-X. While wearing household rubber gloves, dip a cotton ball or soft cloth in Tarn-X and wipe on tarnished areas. For larger items, apply full strength Tarn-X to about 1/3 of article at a time, then rinse thoroughly. For heavily tarnished pieces, repeat the above process until all tarnish is dissolved. Tarn-X only removes tarnish. Always apply a silver polish after using Tarn-X Tarnish Remover for optimum shine, luster and help protect your silver from tarnishing quickly. After using Tarn-X, rinse immediately with cold water and hand dry with a soft cloth. Never leave Tarn-X on anything longer than two minutes and always test Tarn-X on a small area before cleaning the entire piece. Clean spills immediately. Some laminated surfaces (counter tops) are coated with a synthetic material which may be affected by Tarn-X. Keep Tarn-X away from stainless steel.
Can I soak an item in Tarn-X?
We recommend using a cotton ball or soft cloth for the best application. However, dipping smaller items (such as sterling silver jewelry) may be easier. It is important to rinse with cold water IMMEDIATELY and do not let Tarn-X dry. Never keep Tarn-X on an item longer than a maximum of two minutes.
What types of metals can I clean with Tarn-X?
Tarn-X will clean sterling silver, silver plate, platinum, copper, gold and even diamonds. Do not use Tarn-X on poorly plated silver, silver that has scratched or marred surfaces or any item that is not in good condition. Do not mix gold and silver items together when cleaning with Tarn-X.
What the Safer Choice Award is?
The EPA’s Safer Choice program helps consumers find products that perform and are safer for human health and the environment.
What that means
We’ve been recognized as the Safer Choice Partner of the Year for the past five years because of our outstanding achievement in the use of products that meet the Safer Choice program’s stringent health and environment standards.
What that means
for the environment.
To help formulate safer products, Safer Choice developed the Safer Chemical Ingredients List, which contains more than 750 chemicals that meet Safer